The RAILWAY relies on volunteers to help run this World famous tourist attraction.
Voluntary roles include staffing 'Gladys' the Bar Car, Gardening, Fire-Lighting and a host of other roles across all departments.
For more information about Volunteering please see our Voluteering page.
Paid vacancies for full time and part time roles will be posted here for all departments including Catering, Retail, Operations, Signal and Telecoms, Permanent Way and more.
Deputy General Manager
The Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway (RH&DR) is a successful leisure and tourism business operating a 15” gauge railway to professional standards in south-east Kent. The railway is looking to supplement its enthusiastic and motivated team by recruiting a Deputy General Manager with the potential to become the next General Manger of the business.
The RH&DR is loved by its customers as demonstrated by its excellent TripAdvisor reviews. The teams including Operations, Retail, Catering and Engineering , comprising both paid staff and volunteers, works to the highest standards while maintaining a clear focus on the railway’s customers. The Deputy General Manager will be principally involved in railway operations but with the need to be aware of, and as the need arises involved in, other areas of the business such as finance Applicants should have a clear view of how their skills and experience meet current needs. You will support the General Manager to ensure the team collectively delivers maximum operational excellence. They should aspire to be the next General Manager and how they can develop their skills to achieve that aim.
Skills and Abilities
• A skilled Railway Manager with the ability to get deeply involved in the business, business strategy and share the passion for its success.
• Proactive with the ability to problem solve and willingness to learn.
• Understands the challenge of planning and delivering railway operations to the highest standards.
• A proven ability to lead and motivate a team, also able and willing to be ‘hands-on’.
• Dedication to excellent customer service and hospitality.
• Able to identify opportunities to financially improve operations.
• Excellent communication skills.
• The ability to organise, multitask and prioritise work in a fast paced seasonal environment.
• Salary of £40-45k for a 5-day week which will normally include either a Saturday or a Sunday.
• Required to be ‘on-call’. This may include being available on site or via other communications out of hours.
• Needs to live locally to the railway or be prepared to re-locate due to the nature of the role.
• The successful applicant would have benefits of a generous pension scheme and reciprocal leisure travel facilities with main line train companies.
Closing date for applications: 21.12.2021 17:00
Interviews will be held in mid-January 2022.
Send a CV and Covering letter to General Manager Danny.Martin@rhdr.org
5 days per week including weekends
Infrastructure Maintenance Assistant
Working under the Permanent Way Manager
Out in all weathers, you’ll play a highly practical role in keeping the RHDR moving. Across a wide range of manual maintenance tasks, the efficiency and safety of the railway is in your hands.
About the role:
You’ll be on the frontline, working to deliver a variety of manual maintenance tasks, you’ll keep our assets in working order. Which means you’ll pay a key role in keeping our customers safe, and making journeys smooth and more enjoyable.
This is a hands-on role, working outdoors in all weathers. Carrying out general maintenance, your range of duties will include everything from shovelling ballast, inspecting assets to relaying new track. You’ll check all kinds of things, to ensure they are in great working order – from plant and equipment, tools and materials. In everything you do, you’ll work safely and efficiently. If you’ve got what it takes, we’ll provide all the training, protective clothing and support you need to succeed.
1. Own transport.
2. Willing and able to drive vehicles, Telehandlers and 360 diggers when suitably qualified
3. Willing and able to work shifts, including days and weekends
4. A team player
5. Conscientious, reliable and hard working
6. Keen to develop new skills
7. Good communication skills, both in person and in writing
8. Willing to drive diesel locomotives and operate signal boxes when suitably qualified
Please send a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 06/12/2021
40 hours per week
For all job vacancies please send both a Covering letter and a CV.
PLEASE GET IN TOUCH
If you are interested in joining us or have any queries, please complete the enquiry form below or download an application form.