The RAILWAY relies on volunteers to help run this World famous tourist attraction.
Voluntary roles include staffing 'Gladys' the Bar Car, Gardening, Fire-Lighting and a host of other roles across all departments.
For more information about Volunteering please see our Voluteering page.
Paid vacancies for full time and part time roles will be posted here for all departments including Catering, Retail, Operations, Signal and Telecoms, Permanent Way and more.
Reports to: Assistant Catering Manager
Locations: Hythe Coffee Shop, New Romney – Heywood Buffet and at the Dungeness End of the Line Restaurant
Hours of duty: Variable between 08.00 and 17.00 (occasional evening shifts to support events and special functions
Salary: Depending on experience
Contract hrs/ period: Minimum of 16hrs per week. Immediate start to the 30 September 2022 with the possibility of extension We are looking for experienced Cooks to join our existing teams at Hythe, New Romney and Dungeness. Our catering outlets are open 7 days a week when trains are in service providing breakfast and lunch meals throughout the day at Dungeness, an extensive range of takeaway items at New Romney and a wide range of cakes and pastries at Hythe.
Supervised training will be provided on the job, including instruction on how to prepare meals, cook to order and handle equipment to our excellent standards of presentation and hygiene/food safety guidelines.
Main duties of the role include:
• Participate in the day to day running of the catering outlet
• To work as part of a team with other members of Railway staff, assisting the public wherever possible
• Cooking and food preparation under the direction of the Supervisor to the menu on offer including specials when available • Sanitise food preparation and serving areas throughout each shift
• Maintain stock levels and order food and general supplies under the direction of the Supervisor
• End of day cashing up and general cash handling processes
• Ensure all sweets and drink displays are fully stocked and rotated
Skills required include:
• Previous experience of working in a fast-paced kitchen environment
• A passion for creating and presenting great fresh food
• Knowledge of food, food hygiene (including hazard analysis and critical control points) and food preparation
• Knowledge and general understanding of Fire Safety and First Aid
• A team player who places value on supporting and assisting colleagues
• Ability to work efficiently and keep calm under pressure
• Stamina and enthusiasm
• Excellent customer service
• Great attention to detail, highly organised and self-motivated
• Knowledge of special dietary requirements would be an advantage
• High standards of personal hygiene
The Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway Limited is a Community Benefit Society operating miniature main line trains on Romney Marsh. The railway’s staff is assisted by a growing band of highly responsible and dedicated volunteers.
We are seeking an additional part-time member of our supervisory team to assist in the recruitment, training and promotion of our volunteer team to maximise the benefit to the railway from their help and to increase the enjoyment and satisfaction our volunteers gain from supporting us.
The role involves a three-day week with frequent weekend working. Hours need to be flexible to accord with those our volunteers work.
Duties include work on and off the railway, attendance at recruitment events, presentations and the securing of future funding to support the attracting of volunteers and the supporting of them. Regular one to one discussions with volunteers and the managers they work for on a structured basis is important with associated record keeping.
Experience of volunteering and the management of volunteers in a safety critical environment is an advantage. Excellent team working and communication skills are vital. A good working ability with Information Technology is also needed.
Salary range is £12,000 to £15,000 per annum based on a 3-day week. A company pension scheme is available and reduced rate travel facilities on our railway and on some national railway services.
Application packs are available from firstname.lastname@example.org and should be accompanied by a CV and a covering letter explaining your reasons for application and the strengths you would bring to the role.
The Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Railway Limited acknowledges the generous support of the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway Association in assisting with the funding of this post.
Deadline: Sunday 24th July 2022 5pm.
Interviews Week Commencing: 1st August 2022.
3 days per week
For all job vacancies please send both a Covering letter and a CV.
PLEASE GET IN TOUCH
If you are interested in joining us or have any queries, please complete the enquiry form below or download an application form.