BO BO, 112bhp, 6-cylinder mainline diesel locomotive
Designed by RH&DR
Built by TMA Engineering in 1983
Engine: Perkins 6 cylinder diesel
Power rating: 112hp
Overall length: 20'
Bogie wheel diameter: 16"
Drive: Twin disc gearbox and torque converter to prop shaft driven worm boxes on each axle.
Current Livery: Black and Yellow
Captain Howey had often experimented with alternatives to steam in order to make the winter timetable more economical, and in 1929 the Theakston-Ford petrol locomotive appeared for its brief life on the Railway. Then in 1931, Howey converted his 1914 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost into a locomotive that survived until 1961.
After running trials with the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railways locomotive, Shelagh of Eskdale the RH&DR duly ordered their own mainline diesel. The cost was partly met by the local district council, as the new engine was going to make the operating of the school train a more economic affair, than the currently steam hauled operation.
Indeed, No.12 is named after the man that gives his name to the very school that the line hauls children to and from every term day, and who gave the first local educational bequest in 1610.
In 1990, John Southland spent the summer on the railway at the Liverpool Garden Festival.
Since arriving on the RH&DR, John Southland has helped to ease the burden placed on the fleet of steam locomotives, that have been in action for over seventy years in most cases.
The locomotive was overhauled in 1999, and emerged from the workshops resplendant in a new black and yellow livery (reminiscent of the Rio Grande Railway), that replaced the original maroon and cream livery.
The Romney's first main-line diesel is often seen hauling the permanent way train and performing other essential maintenance tasks, as well as some passenger train duties.
For current information, last minute changes regarding times of trains and prices, or if you require further assistance from the RH&DR then: